lost in translation

Thursday, November 02, 2006

"queremos halloween!" / dia de los muertos

so what have i done with my day of the dead so far? lounge in my room all day, downloading songs and ignoring the rest of the quarter exams i have to mark. we have a 4-day long weekend this year, which works out well for me since my parents are coming for a week starting tomorrow. let's hope it's a good visit.

on hallowe'en night, tj, her friend from seattle, and i dressed up as a trio of felines (tj--leopard, tj's friend--panther, me--black housecat) and hit the malecon for a few hours before they left to catch the bus for their trip to patscuaro, michoacan. we brought candy to hand out, and were surrounded by a mob of children--we almost got knocked over at one point. the candy was gone in about two minutes. we didn't even have to move.
a camera crew from televisa stopped us for an interview, and we proceeded to converse in "meows" and catspeak. random tourists took our picture. it was all really silly, but memorable, i guess.

yesterday, a student gave me a pair of tickets for a radio concert extravaganza at the local bullring, so lisa and i went to check it out. turns out it was the high school event of the year; mexican teenyboppers everywhere!!! my students, waving at me and screaming my name, from every direction! the acts made us want to gouge our eyes out, so we left early. all was redeemed by a nice italian dinner downtown afterwards.

tomorrow, i plan on taking my parents salsa dancing. does life get any more surreal?!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home