lost in translation

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

to add to the already-teeming list of quasi-traumatic experiences i've had here so far, i was stung by a bee at school yesterday. sure, that sounds like nothing, but i've never been stung by a bee before, and i didn't find out until yesterday that i'm allergic to bee stings (reminds me of that macaulay culkin movie, my girl...i don't think my allergy's that serious though...nor was i attacked by a flock of bees). the evil little bugger went under my skirt and got me on my thigh, and as soon as it happened, i could barely hobble over to the office to check my leg. it started to swell around the sting, and the nurse came to put ice on it. after a few mins, i was able to make it to the nurse's office where a doctor was waiting for me. he told me i was having an allergic reaction and recommended that i take a bum shot of antihistamine to combat it. i'm sick of having needles injected into my arse cheeks (i'd had two already due to the finger fiasco), but apparently it's a popular location for a shot. it hurt like hell and then it totally knocked me out. i had spanish class, and as i was heading across the campus, i started to get groggy and my students were telling me that i looked high. i completely zonked out during the class, to the amusement of dave and kim, and it took me all night to get out of the fog. the swelling around the sting has disappeared now, so i guess it really wasn't a big deal. guess it's just another amusing anecdote for the ever-growing collection about my life here.

addendum: i forgot to mention that jen swallowed a bee last friday. the bugger went into her drink and she took a swig and down it went. i really do think we're cursed or something.
addendum to the tabloid news: my students brought in their pictures of and with paris hilton yesterday. i laughed.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:22 PM, October 26, 2005, Blogger gbgb said…

    i never watched 'my girl' until years later. it didn't really hit me hard because i guess i felt i missed out on the time when everyone was talking about it. but regardless, you're allergic to bees! what a great way to find out, huh? i can't believe how many shots you've got in the past little while..you should start filming you life, i bet you could make crazy cash off of it!;)

    so i was digging for my yearbooks in the basement today & came across some elementary school diaries as well as...OUR FUCKING LIST!!!!! i come across this here & there but everytime i do it makes me laugh. it goes a little something like this:

    MMC, BOOKS, MUSIC (MMC, BOYS II MEN), TV SHOWS (BOY MEETS WORLD, MMC, ROUNDHOUSE, ARE YOU AFRAID OF THE DARK?, FULL HOUSE, GHOST WRITER), ACTORS & ACTRESSES (RIDER STRONG, MARC WORDEN, JC CHASEZ, MATT MORRIS, LINDSAY ALLEY, KERI RUSSELL, ILANA MILLER, CHRISTINA AGUILERA, RYAN GOSSLING, BEN SAVAGE, TOM CRUISE, EMILIO ESTEVEZ), SINGERS (MMC), ALBUMS (MMC, CODE RED, JANET JACKSON, MUSIC BOX), SONGS (IF, BOOM!SHAKE THE ROOM, HERO, ALL THE SONGS IN THE ALBUM "MMC", DREAMLOVER), MOVIES (DROP DEAD FRED, HOME ALONE 1&2, FAR & AWAY, A FEW GOOD MEN, MIGHTY DUCKS, DENNIS THE MENACE), BEST FRIENDS (CRISSANDRA, RHEA, NATASHA, FIORINA, GABRIELLA, CLAUDIA, RITA, ANGELA), FOODS (PIZZA, CHIPS, POP), DANCING, AUTHORS (R.L STINE, DIAN HOH, CHRISTOPHER PIKE, GORDON KORMAN, ANN M. MARTIN, CAROLYN KEENE)

    THE-END!!!!!!!!

    ahahhaahaha i couldn't stop laughing when writing that out! tom cruise!? that must have been you;) boys to men!? even better. i love that BOOM! SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE THE ROOM! was a favorite song & drop dead fred is STILL my favorite movie;) i dont know who the four last 'best friends' are and am assuming they were people you knew?;) i love our list. we should make a new one only it'd be 50 pages long.

    okay so anyhow, the list is great, BUT, i'm reading my diaries and in one i have some things tucked into the plastic fold....one being a letter....i open it up...IT WAS FROM YOU! i nearly died!

    "Dear Galine,
    I will answer your questions in order. Yes, I still like D.(i'll leave the name out but if you can't remember, i'll gladly share;) Also, I will NOT show the letter to Patricia. You think getting hit on the head is nice? I like D. because he is cute, smart and his hair is nice. Also, for some reason, I like boys who wear glasses and are short. Patricia did not read your letter.

    From:
    Christina
    P.S Don't show this to anybody!"

    OH CHRISTINA!!! hahahahhaa boys in glasses were cool to you back then! you trend setter!

    so if that wasn't enough, i found this mini envelope that says "To: Galine From: Christina Happy Valentines Day!

    I open it thinking it would be a card but no, on the other side it says "Dork Questions Inside!"

    there is one card that says "Dear Galine, How is DORK? Is DORK the same as before? Or is DORK very different? Write back! From: Christina"

    please note that in the letter, the word VERY was underlined.

    The other is a piece of paper saying HAPPY VALENTINES DAY! which now that i look at it, i just burst out laughing, there are D'S all over the piece of paper...D FOR DORK!

    AND THENNNNNN if that wasnt enough to set me off in hysterics, there's a folded slip of paper typed out that says:

    GALINE
    HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!

    Great friend
    Always happy
    Likes D. (like me!)
    Is generous
    Nice person
    Exciting life"

    I LOVE YOU!!!!!
    exciting life?! i wonder what i was doing that was "so exciting". I am totally guessing that I was in D's class so had the ADVANTAGE OF TALKING TO HIM! OOOOH, AHHH!!

    I should add that there is a silver star & happy face on that piece.

    what's also great is that we now know valentines day is a crock of a holiday but then, it meant everything (i remember getting so happy just going out & buying the perfect valentine cards to give to friends & omg, boys!)

    hope this makes your day as much as it did mine (i haven't seen these letters etc. since when you gave them to me in elementary!)

    i love you chang & hope you're feeling better!!

    galine xox

     

Post a Comment

<< Home